One week ago, I switched my feeds from local to FeedBurner. I had some concerns, mostly related to multilingual aspects. But, at the end, the operation went smoothly.
- This post is an english translation of the post FeedBurner: opération réussie
The following diagram shows the evolution of local subscriptions and FeedBurner’s subscriptions.
I still have some readers on local feeds, but their number remains less than 10 per day.
From a technical standpoint, redirect RSS feeds to FeedBurner can be done with two methods:
- Write redirection rules within the file
.htaccess: redirections are managed at the web server level, without using WordPress, nor PHP,
- Use a plugin like FeedSmith, which intercept and redirect local requests to FeedBurner.
I chose the second solution: First, I do not master the syntax of
.htaccess, and then I wanted to manage the multilingual aspects. FeedSmith plugin is simple to understand: I used it, and just adding the required PHP lines to the management English language.
The result is quite effective. In a few days, I will disable the software FeedStats that allowed me to get statistics on my local subscriptions. Then I will measure the effect of this migration on the blog’s performances.