WordPress doesn’t give an easy way to display list of attachments in the posts. EG-Attachments is basically a shortcode, that can be manually or automatically be added to your posts, in order to display list of attached files. EG-Attachments can be configured with a lot of options, and provides an easy way of inserting shortcode, with a TinyMCE post editor integration.
- displays a list of attached documents or attached images. The list can include: Icon, Title, Description, Caption, Type, Date, and/or Size,
- is highly customizable with many parameters, like: Icon size, Sort field, and sort order, Title of the list, Label of each document (choose file name, or attachment title), Fields to display (caption, description, date, type, …), Type of link to attachments: permalink, or direct link to the file, Force « Save as » (rather than display document), Link attributes like « no follow »
Attachments can be selected / filtered using
- Document type (image or other),
- Document list (list of attachments’ ids),
- Post: you can display attachments of a specific post, by specifying its Id,
- Tags: with version 1.9.3 and upper, EG-Attachments allows to link attachments to tags. Attachments can then be selected by specifying tags in the shortcode.
Several styles of list can be chosen
- Small size: small icon, and only to fields displayed (label and size),
- Medium size: medium icon, and additional fields displayed (label, caption and size),
- Large size: large icon, and main fields displayed: title, file name, caption and size.
- Custom: you can build your own style, with HTML code,
You can also customize lists, by modifying the CSS styles of the plugin.
[_attachments size=medium doctype=document title="Attachments" orderby="title"]
[_attachments size=large title="Documents" titletag=h3 orderby="mime DESC"]
[_attachments title="Books and DVD Reviews" orderby="date DESC" tags="books,dvd"]
Three ways on inserting the shortcode
EG-Attachments proposes three ways of inserting shortcode into the posts
- Fully manual: you manually enter the shortcode in your post content,
- Manual: the plugin includes an interface, integrated into the post editor, to choose the options of the shortcode, and insert it into the posts content,
- Automatic: With a feature named « auto-shortcode », you can display the list of attachments, without inserting the shortcode in each involved post. Just activate the option, and the plugin will detect automatically the attachments, and then will display the list.
If you want to know how many times your files are downloaded, or viewed, EG-Attachments proposes simple statistics features.
The plugin comes up with 10 translations. Thanks to the following people for their contributions:
- Arabic (AR) – Mahmoud Ahmed,
- Belarusian (BY) – Fatcow,
- Dutch (NL) – Rene at WP webshop,
- French (FR) – Emmanuel,
- German (DE) – DesignContext,
- Italian (IT) – Luca Maida and Roberto Scano,
- Spanish (ES) – David Arinez,
- Polish (PL) – Mariusz Szatkowski,
- Romanian (RO) – Armand Coveanu,
- Swedish (SE) – Jonas Floden,
If you have created your own language pack, or have an update of an existing one, you can send gettext .po and .mo files to me so that I can bundle it into the plugin.
Thanks to the following persons for their help: Dave for the « custom style » feature, Rebekah for her video tutorial, Luca Maida, Roberto Scano for his help on debugging, and ideas for new features (tags for example), and David Lingren for his help on debugging.
- Michael Kimb Jones did a round-up of plugins during the WordCamp UK, where he said: « This is a great little plugin which is simple but solves a problem. Ever wanted a list of files that are attached to a page? A list of PDFs or documents for example. This plugin adds an icon to your WYSIWYG editor. Click it and it will insert a shortcode to show a list of files that have been attached to the page. »,
- Siobhan McKeown on WPMU.org, recommends EG-Attachments as one of 10 WordPress Plugins that will Actually Increase Your Productivity,
- Noumaan Yaqoob on WPLift recommends EG-Attachments as a WordPress Productivity Plugins for Your Business Website,